In Memoriam


Paul Andrei Pines - Class of 1959


May 23, 1941 - June 27, 2018

GLENS FALLS - Paul Andrei Pines, poet, novelist, psychotherapist, literature professor, jazz entrepreneur and, above all, profoundly loving and beloved husband, father and friend, died on June 27, 2018 at age 77.

Born in Brooklyn to Dr. Bernard Pines and Charlotte Rachlin Pines on May 23, 1941, Paul grew up around the corner from Ebbets Field, a few blocks from where his cherished daughter Charlotte now lives. He attended Erasmus Hall High School and later the Cherry Lawn School in Connecticut, where he first began writing poetry. After graduating from Bard College in 1961, he moved to the Lower East Side of New York where he found his artistic home among the poets, writers, artists and musicians whose creativity was flourishing synergistically there. An early friend, mentor and champion was the late poet Paul Blackburn.

A fearless adventurer throughout his life, Paul left New York temporarily to track down his poetic idols, the Beats, in San Francisco, but once there he decided to continue his adventure by enlisting in the Merchant Marines. He crossed the Pacific to Vietnam at the height of the war on a boat loaded with Thanksgiving turkeys for the troops, and spent six dangerous months on the rivers of Vietnam.

After returning to the U.S. by way of a six-month stay in Spain, he settled once again into the thriving downtown arts scene in New York, publishing his first volume of poetry, "Onion," in 1971. In 1973, he opened his jazz club, the Tin Palace on Bowery and 2nd, which became a Mecca for cutting-edge music and poetry for many years thereafter. Paul's first novel, "The Tin Angel," a brilliant murder-mystery, vividly recreates that singular time and ambiance.

During that period, however, Paul began to weary of the hustle of life in New York and started spending time in Belize where he and his brother, Claude, built a small house on the beach amid the coconut palms and turquoise waters. His intention was to settle there and leave New York behind. However, he had one more writing engagement to complete first: a six-month New York State Council for the Arts residency at Crandall Library in Glens Falls.

Persuaded by his dear friend, the late poet William Bronk, Paul arrived in Glens Falls in the summer of 1984, unaware that his life was about to change in profound and unexpected ways. First, he was introduced to John Strong of the Lake George Arts Project, and the two began planning the first ever Lake George Jazz Weekend. John and Paul remained partners in that endeavor for 35 years. Second, his friend, poet Sherry Moore Kearns, introduced him to the love of his life, Carol Gericke, on a blind date in mid-summer of that year. They fell in love while making a salad together.

Paul soon discarded his Belize plans, moved to Glens Falls, and on Oct. 12, 1985, amid falling yellow leaves at the Friends Lake Inn in the beautiful Adirondacks, he and Carol married. Within months of their marriage, his novel "The Tin Angel," which had come out in paperback and been translated into French and German, and was optioned by the French film production company Initiale. Paul and Carol moved to Paris for six months, where their lives would change for a third time: Carol discovered she was pregnant with the second love of Paul's life, their daughter Charlotte, who was born in Glens Falls Hospital on Dec. 28, 1986.

Returning to life in Glens Falls, Paul's friend, author Jean Rikhoff, invited him to become a faculty member of the English Department at ACC (now SUNY Adirondack), where he taught literature, mythology and creative writing for 17 years. He later completed an MSW at SUNY Albany, beginning yet another career as a psychotherapist, while never ceasing his outpouring of poetry, fiction, memoirs, philosophy and essays. But his greatest joy was his role as "suburban" dad, walking his little girl to school, running for the school board and attending every one of Charlotte's dance and theater performances at ARDT, Lake George Youtheatre and Hubbard Hall, and later at SUNY New Paltz and then Off Broadway in New York.

In addition to "The Tin Angel," a second novel, "Redemption," deals with the Guatemalan Mayan genocide. His memoir, "My Brother's Madness," explores the nature of delusion, while his more recent memoir, "Trolling With the Fisher King," explores the archetype of the wounded psyche in Western culture through a series of inter-related essays. He has published 14 volumes of poetry, with his "Selected Poems" due out later this summer. In addition to his own creative output, his poetry and fiction have been given musical settings by composers Dan Asia, Paul Brantley, Catherine Reid and Daniel Kelly.

Throughout the last 35 years, Paul had countless times expressed his gratitude for the profound joy he experienced as husband and father, joy he had never expected to find. Moreover, while the past two years battling lung cancer were difficult, his joy and gratitude persisted, enhanced by the great kindness and professionalism of Dr. John Stoutenburg and the staff at C.R. Wood Cancer Center at Glens Falls Hospital. Though no words feel sufficient, Paul's family is deeply and eternally grateful for all their efforts on his behalf.

Paul was predeceased by his parents, Dr. Bernard Pines and Charlotte Rachlin Pines; his brother, Claude Pines; and his father-in-law, Stanley Gericke; and his beloved German shepherds, Watson, Zorro and Harry.

He is survived by his adoring wife and their beloved daughter, Carol and Charlotte Pines; his mother-in-law, Catherine Gericke; his brothers-in-law, Kenneth Gericke and David Gericke; his sister-in-law, Laurie Gericke; his nephew, K.C. Gericke and his wife, Lauren; his nieces, Kory Gericke and her partner, Jeff Flynn, Jessica Spiak, her husband, Joe, and their children, Vivienne, Adelaide and Graham, Stephanie Triassi and her husband, Richard, and Rebecca Agneta and her husband, Michael; and his cat, ZaphodBeeblebrox, and his grandcats, Meowrice and Jonas of Brooklyn.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Paul's name to the American Cancer Society and Charles R. Wood Cancer Center at Glens Falls Hospital. Further information on Paul's enormous body of work can be found at and, and many of his books can be purchased in hard copy or eBook on Amazon.

A celebration of Paul's life will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10, at SUNY Adirondack in Dearlove Hall, and at this year's upcoming Lake George Jazz Weekend, which he curated before his passing. Details will be forthcoming online and in local papers as they become available. The Pines family hopes to see all whose lives Paul touched there to share stories and memories of this wonderful man.

Arrangements are under the care of Singleton Sullivan Potter Funeral Home and those who wish may make online condolences by visiting

posted July 31, 2018


James A. Thenstead - Class of 1964


June 28, 1946 - October 14, 2014



James Adolph Thenstead, Jr. left this earth for his new journey on Tuesday, October 14, 2014 from Wichita, KS. James Adolph Thenstead Jr. was born June 28, 1946 to James A. Thenstead Sr. and Audrey Gallo in New York, New York. He is the oldest of two children.


He is preceded in death by his wife Sharon L. (Vesey) Thenstead, his parents, his younger brother Jeffrey Thenstead, grandparents Eric and Mae Martin. James attended Cherry Lawn School in Darien, CT from elementary thru 12th grade. He graduated in 1964. He then attended Wichita State University graduating in 1969 with a bachelor's degree in business therefore pursuing a career in Life Insurance. On August 24,1970 James married Sharon L. Vesey in Wichita, KS. They then moved to New York City and to this union two children were born. The family attended The Church of Episcopalian in New York City. James worked as a life insurance salesman for over 30 years.


He was very dedicated to his career and spent lots of time working with people and providing for his family. He was an avid tennis player and loved to watch The US Open and Wimbledon. He had a passion for football as well, he played college football and watched NFL on Sundays. He also had a passion for the Internet. He would research any and every topic that would come to mind. He was very organized with everything in life from his daily schedule to his neatly part hair and attire from day to day. James worked hard at being a great dad. He would send the kids to Blueberry Cove Camp in Maine, a break from the city for the kids he would say or maybe just a break from us!! He felt his camp would provide the best environment for adolescents. He and his brother attended the camp as well, growing up. In 2008 James moved back to Wichita, KS to live and assist with his daughter and her children. James really loved his grandchildren, anything they wanted, he would make it happen. Although he was very fond of his granddaughters, he had a special place in his heart for his first and only grandson. The kids truly made him happy and he enjoyed them to the fullest.


James leaves to cherish his memories: one daughter Erica (Nikki) Thenstead and companion Sean (Cav) Simpkins of Wichita, KS; one son James A.Thenstead III and wife Ping of Briarwood, NY; granddaughter Taylor A. Pico and spouse Gregory of Graham, WA; granddaughter Cheyenne Sharon Thenstead and grandson Micah Eriam Thenstead both of Wichita, KS and other family and friends. A memorial service of remembrance for James will be Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 11:00 A.M. in the Biglow Funeral Home Chapel.


posted 10/13/2015

Roger Richman - class of 1961

Roger Richman, a celebrity agent who is widely credited with helping to invent the dead-celebrity industry, a multimillion-dollar realm built on licensing the rights to images of the prominent posthumously, died on Oct. 9 in Los Angeles. He was 69.

His death was confirmed by his son, Alexander Steenbakkers-Noffke, who said his father had been hospitalized but did not specify the illness.

In 1984, Mr. Richman, whose clients included the heirs of Albert Einstein, Marilyn Monroe, Sigmund Freud and Bela Lugosi, helped push through the California Celebrity Rights Act, the formative legislation in an effort to protect the rights of celebrity estates. He traveled frequently to Sacramento to lobby lawmakers, sometimes bringing along well-connected advocates, like the children of John Wayne, the widow of Fred Astaire or the living Elizabeth Taylor to join him in committee meetings. When the law passed that September, it gave heirs control over how a celebrity’s image, voice or name was used posthumously.

No longer could an opportunistic manufacturer legally make T-shirts, toilet paper or television commercials bearing the likenesses of famous dead people without first getting their estates to approve. Estates could sue and very likely would win.

The law’s passage proved a financial boon to the heirs of countless stars. New merchandising efforts and afterlife advertising campaigns appeared. One of the most notable was a Ford Mustang commercial that ran in the early 2000s featuring a computer-simulated Steve McQueen speeding through a cornfield more than two decades after he died.

“The common denominator when Roger and I were working at this in the 1980s is that clients we would approach weren’t represented by anybody,” recalled Mark Roesler, the founder and chief executive of CMG Worldwide, a leading agency in representing celebrity estates. “They didn’t have any idea that they had protectable property rights.”

Mr. Roesler called Mr. Richman “a very important figure” in establishing publicity rights for dead celebrities.

The business, which made both men very wealthy, was not one that Mr. Richman had expected to pursue.

“I was totally broke and doing miscellaneous jobs, including some product placement work,” he told Los Angeles magazine in 2004. “I’d licensed some celebrity posters. I did one of Abba and one of Brooke Shields. In May of 1979, W. C. Fields’s people called me up and wanted me to be their agent, and I said, ‘What agent? He’s been dead 32 years!’ ”

The Fields heirs were not happy about a poster being sold that superimposed the comedian’s head on a body clothed only in a diaper. Mr. Richman explained to them that their options were limited because, under the law at the time, a celebrity’s publicity rights did not extend to heirs.

That standard was rooted in a ruling by the California Supreme Court. In the early 1970s, the court overturned a decision in a case brought by the son of Bela Lugosi, the Hungarian-American actor best known for playing Count Dracula. Bela Lugosi Jr. argued in a lower court that he and his stepmother, not Universal Studios, owned reproduction rights to his father’s image.

He won that case, but the high court reversed the lower court ruling on the ground that no evidence had been established that Mr. Lugosi sold his image for commercial purposes during his life. Had he done so, the court said, that would have established precedent for his heirs to argue that they had inherited his salable image as property.

As Mr. Richman studied the ruling, he saw an opening: countless other stars, including Fields, had sold their images through advertising. When Mr. Richman learned shortly afterward that the United States Postal Service was planning a commemorative stamp in honor of Fields’s birthday, he called the service. He soon received a call back from William J. Jones, a top lawyer for the service.

“ ‘Who are you? This is preposterous!’ ” Mr. Richman recalled Mr. Jones saying. “To make a long story short, I mentioned the decision, he read it, and I was the first person in history to license the Postal Service.”

Roger Blum Richman was born on Jan. 18, 1944, in Washington. His father was a rabbi and his mother an artist. He graduated from Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio, with a degree in business administration. He later received his law degree from Vanderbilt University. He worked as a staff lawyer for the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers and later in entertainment and commercial law in New York. He also helped finance films.

In 1978, he founded the Roger Richman Agency. He sold the company in 2005 to the image licensing company Corbis.

In addition to his son, Mr. Richman is survived by his wife, Diane Shulman; two grandchildren; and a sister, Paulette Rochelle-Levy.

Mr. Roesler, who worked with Mr. Richman to get laws passed in other states similar to the one in California, said at least 16 states now had them. Bela Lugosi Jr., now a publicity rights lawyer in Los Angeles, noted that celebrities’ rights after death were often dependent on where they died.

But, he added, “Oftentimes that’s California.”


posted 11/5/2013


Charles Cramp Cookman Jr. - Class of 1974


Charles Cramp Cookman Jr., 57, of New Bern, N.C., died suddenly on Friday, Aug. 30. He will be sadly missed by his large family and network of friends near and far.

Charles was raised in New Canaan and spent time in California, before moving to New Bern, and settling in River Bend. His business, Fortis Fidele, provided handyman services to many in the area, and he especially enjoyed making renovations to his own property. Over the years, Charles participated in many local theatrical groups' productions, both as an actor and stage/lighting technician. Some of his most memorable onstage performances were those which showcased his personality and great humor.

He was an accomplished photographer and world traveler. He loved science, the out-of-doors, meteorology, and history. As a descendant of several founding families of the United States of America, he took great pride in his heritage and his patriotism.

In addition to the New Canaan school system, Charlie attended St. Luke's School, and Cherry Lawn of Darien, before graduating from NCHS. He attended college in Southern Calif.

Charlie was predeceased by his parents, Elizabeth Westaway of River Bend, N.C. and Charles C. Cookman of Carlsbad, Calif. He is survived by his siblings: James DeW. Cookman (Adelita) of Milford, Elizabeth W. Pletcher (Steven) of River Bend, N.C., and Mildred C. Frick (William) of Stonington, formerly of New Canaan. He is also survived by his only nephew, William Westaway Frick of Stonington, formerly of New Canaan, NCHS Class of 2010. Charlie is survived also by his step-sisters, Megan Standing, of Oceanside, Calif., Martha Hardebeck (Thomas) of Encinitas, Calif., Susan Bussey (Thomas) of Oceanside, Calif., and Janet Patterson (James) of Dallas, Texas.

A funeral service was held for Charles at 11 a.m. on Monday Sept. 9, at Christ Church Episcopal in downtown New Bern.

Life is short, love each other and greet each day with a glad heart.

Arrangements were by Cotton Funeral Home.

To sign our guestbook:

- The Family

posted 9-26-2013


Karen Gail Mandelbaum - Class of 1972





May 6, 1954 - February 9, 2013

posted 2-19-2013


Robert Hugh Banfield - Class of 1970


Robert Hugh Banfield, born on Valentine's Day February 14, 1952, passed away in Tucson, AZ on July 5, 2010. He is survived by brother, Fred (Eileen Fitzmaurice); sister, Susan; brother, Andrew (Lorena); niece, Angeleen; numerous cousins, and many good friends. Bob was an avid collector, and a man of many talents: jewelry designer, jeep tour guide, mining software technician, and the best Santa ever. 'Solar Bob' was a founding member of Citizens for Solar. He loved the mountains and lakes of Arizona and spending time with his friends, relatives and his pets. He will be greatly missed. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date. Contributions may be made to Citizens for Solar, Casa de los Ninos or the Tucson Botanical Gardens. Arrangements entrusted to ADAIR FUNERAL HOMES, Avalon Chapel.

posted 12-27-2012


60's era House Mother, Mrs. Gibson



Yvonne M. Willis-Bates, aged 89, died Sunday, October 28th at Forest Hills Care Center.


Yvonne was born on March 2nd, 1923 in Sandwich, Kent, England, shortly after the Great War.

When she was 4 years old, the family moved to Ramsgate, a seaside town a few miles up the coast, right on the English Channel. She spent her childhood and young adult life there.


She and her mother lived there through the ravages of World War 2, being on the invasion coast, the town was heavily bombed. They spent many nights in the air raid shelters. These were originally the old chalk smugglers caves that were converted for use for protection during the war. She witnessed the Dunkirk evacuation, as the many small boats left Ramsgate Harbour to rescue soldiers stranded across the 22 miles of the English Channel on the coast of France.

She trained during the War as a probationer with the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service.


She came to the U.S. In 1952, as a Nanny to a family in Greenwich, Connecticut. She lived in Ct. for many years, returning there after settling in California for a while and even after a sojourn back in the U.K. She worked in a variety of jobs. As well as being a Nanny, she also held some administrative jobs, was house mother at a boarding school in Connecticut, and in later years was a  private duty caregiver for the elderly. She seemed to enjoy the role of caregiver, at which she excelled.


After retirement she moved first to Rhode Island and then to Florida. Then 10 years ago she moved to Cincinnati, to be near family. She is predeceased by her two older brothers, Douglas and Dennis Bates, both of the UK. She is survived by her only child, Lynn M. Ticotsky who resides in Hyde Park with her husband Dan.  She is to be cremated and Lynn will take her ashes back to the UK to be scattered in their home town of Ramsgate, where there will be a small private memorial gathering for the remaining family members and friends. 




Hi Mike,
Wanted to put this on the "In memorium" page.
My mother, known to Cherry Lawn as Mrs. Gibson, affectionately as "Mrs. G.", died Oct 28th 2012.
She was relief housemother at Manor House for Mrs. Wheeler from 1962-1963.
Relief housemother at Stein house for Mr. and Mrs. Cockey and relief nurse for Mrs. Brennan. during 1963-1964
Housemother in Swedish during 1964-1965, and relief housemother in Swedish for part of 1966.
I have enclosed her obituary, a photo of her from the 1965 Cherry Pit, and a photo I took of her within the last couple of years.
I have many fond memories of life at Cherry Lawn, where I attended from 1963-1965.
Thank you.
Lynn (Gibson) Ticotsky class of 1965.


posted 11-13-2012

Judith Deutch Monteverdi - Class of 1964


 December 15, "Read the back of my jeans" - November 5, 2012   Wurtsboro, NY

Judith Ann Monteverdi, beloved Mother, Nauna and Friend, and former owner of the Hotel Tavern, died Monday, November 5, 2012 at her home in Wurtsboro Hills.

She is survived by her three children: Michael, Danielle and Desiree of Wurtsboro; a son-in-law: Ray Innis and a daughter-in-law: Carol Regalado, both of Wurtsboro; and three grandchildren whom were her world. Mommy, "Our hearts will always beat as one" - "Think flowers, they always return." She will be missed, and "come visit us."

Family and friends are invited to gather on Friday evening, November 9th from 7-9pm at the VanInwegen-Kenny, Inc. Funeral Home, 111 Sullivan Street in Wurtsboro.

Memorial contributions made to the family would be appreciated.

Arrangements under the direction of the VanInwegen-Kenny, Inc. Funeral Home of Wurtsboro. For additional information please visit

posted 11-08-2012

Dale Morton Dreyfuss - faculty




l-r Susan Hubshman Sinawsky, Dale Dreyfuss, Laura Schoen  July, 2006

Dale Morton Dreyfuss of Mansfield, CT, departed this life on December 22, 2011. He suffered with paraplegia, caused by Transverse Myelitis, for thirteen years, and cancer this past year.

Dale was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate in English from Grinnell College, and earned his MBA from the Yale School of Management as a member of the Charter Class of 1978. He met his future wife, the Director of the Division of Hearings, at the Massachusetts Department of Public Welfare where he was appointed Assistant Commissioner for Finance. He enjoyed an impressive career in university administration at Yale University as Comptroller and later, Budget Director; and at the University of Connecticut as Vice President for Administration and Finance for seventeen years. Dale was a major force in making “UCONN 2000,”a success.

As a hobby, he taught blacksmithing at the Gilford Connecticut Handcraft Center and aspired to become a Master Bladesmith after his retirement in 2006. Regarded as brilliant and talented by friend and foe alike, Dale was highly ethical, possessed abundant wit, wrote beautifully and, against painful odds, remained brave to his last breath.

Dale was predeceased, in 2009, by his brother Kent William Dreyfuss of Trumbull, CT. He is mourned by his wife, Susan Dreyfuss Bartholomew of Mansfield, CT, his brother Bruce Dreyfuss of Mountain View, CA, and by his nephews Justin and Alexander and his niece Rebecca, also of Mountain View, CA. He will be interred at the Forest Hill Cemetery in Glen Ellyn on Saturday, January 14th at 1:00 P.M. The family welcomes tributes to Dale at the website of

In lieu of flowers, please send memorial gifts to The Center for Hellenic Studies at the University of Connecticut, P.O. Box 818, Storrs, CT. Plans for the memorial service to be held in Storrs the end of March will become available at the Pietras site at a later date.

Second Obituary:

Dale M. Dreyfuss; MEMORIAL SERVICE: Saturday, March 31st, 11:30 a.m. at the Center for Hellenic Studies on the UCONN campus, 28 Dog Lane, Storrs, CT. Please join family and friends at the reception to follow. In lieu of flowers, please send memorial gifts to the Center for Hellenic Studies, P.O. Box 818, Storrs, CT 06268.

posted 10-9-2012


Dorothy Gilman (Butters) - faculty


Dorothy Gilman, an espionage writer whose best-known heroine, Mrs. Pollifax, is very likely the only spy in literature to belong simultaneously to the Central Intelligence Agency and the local garden club, died on Thursday at her home in Rye Brook, N.Y. She was 88.

The cause was complications of Alzheimer's disease, her family said.

In "The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax" (1966), the first novel in what would be a 14-book series, Mrs. Gilman introduces Emily Pollifax, a 60-ish New Jersey widow bored by the compulsory round of tea and good works. In search of adventure, she offers her services to the C.IA. - who, after all, is going to peg a suburban grandmother as a cold war secret agent? - and adventure she finds. In the course of the series, which concluded in 2000 with "Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled," she fetches up in Mexico, Turkey, Thailand, China, Morocco, Sicily and elsewhere.

Clever, lucky and naïvely intrepid, Mrs. Pollifax employs common sense and a little karate to rescue the kidnapped; aid the resistance (when you are a suburban lady spy, a fashionable hat is ideal for concealing forged passports); and engage in all manner of cheery deception (when doing business with a malefactor who is expecting a can of plutonium, a can of peaches makes an excellent if short-term substitute).

Reviewers sometimes quibbled about the improbability of the novels' basic premise. But the books proved popular with readers: in a genre in which women had long been young and sultry, Mrs. Pollifax, with her peril and petunias, made an irresistible, early feminist heroine.

The series was the basis of two movies, the feature film "Mrs. Pollifax - Spy" (1971), starring Rosalind Russell, and the telefilm "The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax" (1999), starring Angela Lansbury. The Mystery Writers of America named Mrs. Gilman its 2010 Grand Master.

Dorothy Edith Gilman was born in New Brunswick, N.J., on June 25, 1923; she decided on a writing career when she was still a child. Planning to write and illustrate books for children, she studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Under her married name, Dorothy Gilman Butters, she began publishing children's books in the late 1940s. Mrs. Gilman's marriage to Edgar A. Butters Jr. ended in divorce. She is survived by two sons, Christopher Butters and Jonathan Butters; and two grandchildren.

She was also the author of several nonseries novels for adults, among them "The Clairvoyant Countess" (1975), "Incident at Badamya" (1989) and "Kaleidoscope" (2002), and novels for young people including "Enchanted Caravan" (1949) and "The Bells of Freedom" (1963). By the seventh Mrs. Pollifax novel, "Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha," published in 1985, Mrs. Gilman's heroine has remarried. But for the most part, she is quite content to leave her husband at home for the duration of the series as she gads about the world, a paladin packing peaches.

posted 2/2/2012


Dr. Morris H. Philipson - Class of 1944



A blog written by Morris shortly before his death that talks about Cherry Lawn


posted November 4, 2011


Valerie Landsman Oltarsh - Class of 1957


Valerie died peacefully on Thursday night, December 28, 2006 at the age of 66. She was the darling wife of William Oltarsh, and the beloved mother of Mark, Jennifer and Nicholas Oltarsh and playmate and grandmother of Morgan and Sydney Bilecek, and of doted upon grandson, Julius Oltarsh, and of cherished daughters-in-law Stephanie Foxman, and of Leslie Oltarsh, and of son-in-law, Harun Bilecek.


A graduate of Vassar College in the Class of 1961, she graduated from Bank Street College with a Masters Degree in Counseling, and then obtained a second Masters Degree in Social Work at Hunter College. Licensed as a Clinical Social Worker, she continued her education, and in 1987 was certified by the National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis and the American Board for Accreditation and Certification with the title of Psychoanalyst.


She maintained a thriving private practice for thirty years until the end of her life. At the National Institute for the Psychotherapies (NIP), she was certified in 1987 as a Supervisor in Psychoanalysis and Comprehensive Psychotherapy. She then became the Co-Director of Curriculum for the Institute as well as a member of the Board of Directors. In 2006, she was honored by NIP for her distinguished service to the Institute. She was also on the Faculty and a Supervisor at the Fifth Avenue Center for Counseling and Psychotherapy. Her family and friends, patients, supervisees, students, and colleagues greatly appreciated her conscientious devotion, and selfless engagement.


Published in The New York Times on January 4, 2007

Arlene Auerbach Haddock - Class of 1962

Died April 2008 -  Maryland

posted May, 10, 2011

Eleanor DeRoy - Class of 1931


Eleanor attended the Parson School of Design (without graduating). She married Robert G. Berman. They lived on Long Island, NY (Long Beach then Massapequa). She had one daughter, Roberta Gertrude; two grandchildren, Richard and Jennifer (me) Gentil; and three great-grandchildren, Benjamin, Jack and Katherine Sinex. Eleanor was well loved by her family and lived a long and pampered life. She died this January 31, 2011 at the age of 96 1/2.


My grandmother spoke fondly of her time at Cherry Lawn. Obviously, it was a very special school.  


All the best,

Jenny Sinex


posted March 16, 2011

Harvey R. Kaplan - Class of 1951

Died September 11, 2010 - Miami Florida

posted January 18, 2011


John E. Corthorn Jr. - Faculty



Word has reached us that John passed away May 6, 2004.


Here is a link to an open letter John wrote to the cherry Lawn community in 1998:


posted November 16, 2010


Isabel Margaret MacFarlane Medved


 Isabel Medved died of natural causes at the Vernon Green Nursing Home in Vernon, Vermont on October 1, 2010. Isabel was the wife of Alphonse Medved (1910-2005), the former director of Cherry Lawn School from 1956 to 1972. She was the mother of CLS alumni Steve Medved (Class of 1958) and Chris Medved (Class of 1961). Isabel was 98 years old and resided in Putney, Vermont since 1980.

Howard E. Goldstein - Class of 1944

GOLDSTEIN--Howard E., April 23, 1931 - March 21, 2010. Howard Goldstein grew up in the liquor industry. His father and grandfather started Standard Food, a noted distributor of brands like Seagrams and Bacardi. Howard managed and built Standard Food Wholesalers which was sold to Herman Merinoff of Charmer. Later he started his own import company, Wellington, which he sold to Bell's Scotch. Howard had been an industry innovator with his numerous launches of successful brands like Finlandia Vodka, Aguardiente Crystal, Boucheron, Barbella (which is named for his wife Barbara and the Italian word Bella for pretty) and finally Hpnotiq Liqueur. Outside of his achievements, within the liquor industry, he is most known for his charitable activities. Howard was a vice president of the National Committee for the Prevention Child Abuse and was honored at the White House for his contributions. Anonymously he sent the children and parents of the local Ronald McDonald House to the circus every year. He is survived by his brother Stewart, his sister Rhona, his beloved wife Barbara, and his children Elizabeth with her husband Eric and daughter Josie and his son James with wife Rachel.

Published in The New York Times on March 23, 2010

Heidi Detweiler Hanson - Class of 1969



Died December 27, 2007


Here is another photo of Heidi:


posted August 20, 2010


Jonathan Feller - Class of 1958



Died in 2006 after a brief illness



posted August 18, 2010


Maura Robinson - Class of 1973



11/27/1956 - 2/13/2010


Maura Robinson, wife of drummer Billy Ward, sister of the late Megan Robinson, CLS 72, daughter of CLS art teacher Victor Robinson, and a very talented and successful artist in her own right, died February 13, 2010 after a year and a half  battle with Leukemia.

and a video tribute on youtube:


posted March 24, 2010


Philip Z Cochran - Class of 1971

Died August 18, 2008

no further details


Anne Coleman Eyes - Class of 1945

Anne Coleman Eyes, loving wife and caring mother and grandmother, died August 20, 2009 at St. Vincent's Hospital. Born in Stamford, Connecticut on November 30, 1928, she was the daughter of Wilgar and Patty Coleman of Darien, Connecticut. She attended Cherry Lawn School in Darien, prior to attending the University of Connecticut, where she graduated in 1950. She married Raymond Eyes in December of 1947.

She and her husband moved their family to Westport, Connecticut in 1959, where they raised their four children and lived for forty-five years. She pursued her graduate degrees at Southern Connecticut State University and Fairfield University prior to working at both Silver Hill and Hall- Brooke Hospitals as a researcher. In the Westport area, she served on the Regional Mental Health board and the board of the Community Council. She was a volunteer at Norwalk Hospital, the Westport League of Woman Voters, Friends of the Westport Library, the American Association of University Women, and the Westport Historical Society. She was also a docent at the Mote Museum in Sarasota, Florida. An avid reader, she was active in numerous book clubs in Westport, Redding, and Sarasota. In 2004 she and her husband moved from their home in Westport to Meadow Ridge in Redding, Connecticut.

She is survived by her loving husband of sixty-one years, Raymond Eyes of Redding and three sons, Peter Eyes of Westport, David Eyes of Santa Cruz, California and Edward Eyes of Fairfield. Her daughter Virginia predeceased her. She is also survived by eight grandchildren and her brother Charles Coleman of Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania.

A private memorial service was held for family members on August 20 at the Greenfield Hill Congregational Church. A memorial service for extended family and friends to celebrate her life will be held on Saturday, September 12 at 4 pm at Meadow Ridge in Redding, CT.

In lieu of flowers, friends and family are invited to make contributions to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.


Nancy Burwell


BELFAST (May 3): Nancy Burwell, 88, of Belfast, passed away April 26, 2009, at Harbor Hill Assisted Living Health Care Community. Nancy was born March 15, 1921, in New York City, daughter of Dr. Herman Seidler and Eda Hoode.

She graduated from the Packer Collegiate Institute and attended Barnard College. While a child, she fell in love with the theater and in high school, starred in several plays, including the role of Hecuba in The Trojan Women. She left college to study theater at the Maria Ouspenskaya Theater School in New York City and joined the Off-Broadway cast of Molnar’s The Glass Slipper.

While working as an actress in summer stock, Nancy met actor and author Basil Beckett Burwell. They married March 16, 1941, at the Little Church around the Corner in New York City.

For many years they lived and worked in Connecticut, where they attended the Wilton Friends Meeting. Nancy taught speech and typing at Cherry Lawn School in Darien, Conn. and worked as an executive secretary.

After a year at Pendle Hill, a Quaker study center, they moved in 1973 to Philadelphia, where Nancy continued to teach, while also working over the years as a secretary at the Northwest Interfaith Movement, the Lutheran Theological Seminary and La Salle University.

In 1977, Nancy and Basil began summering in Belfast, where they moved permanently in the mid-1980s after retiring. Eager to continue their strong dedication to community theater, Nancy and Basil founded the Belfast Maskers. Nancy served in several capacities with the Maskers and especially enjoyed acting on the stage, where she appeared in more than a dozen productions, including notable roles in Good Woman of Setzuan, The Road Round Ireland, and Tartuffe. Her favorite was the title role in The Madwoman of Chaillot.

Several years ago, Nancy began a poetry reading group, the Poetry Project, which held monthly readings at Scoops in downtown Belfast. Although not a writer, Nancy was a great supporter and booster of writers and poets. She liked to tell of the days long before computers, when she typed and helped edit four drafts of Basil’s novel, A Fool in the Forest, published by Macmillan.

Nancy enjoyed sharing her lifelong passion for the arts, especially poetry and literature, the theater and music. She and Basil attended the Belfast Area Friends Meeting.

Nancy is survived by her sons, Christopher Beckett Burwell of Carlton, Wash., Jeremy Charles Burwell and wife, Marsha of North Merrick, N.Y., and Frederick Alistair Burwell and wife, Christine Nelson of Beloit, Wis.; and four grandchildren, Heather Alicia Burwell, Rachel Melissa Burwell, Trevor Beckett Burwell and Benjamin Andrew Nelson Burwell.

She was predeceased by her husband, Basil Beckett Burwell.



Jamie Lembeck - Class of 1971

To be any more

than all I am

would be a lie

- Jefferson Airplane

March 7, 1953 — June 24, 2008

His wheelchair was one obvious clue about who Jamie Lembeck was. His many friends would say it was also probably the most misleading.

“One of his famous quotes was, ‘Talk to me for five minutes and my wheelchair will disappear,’ ” said Tony Billoni, one of his best friends. “Most people who knew him knew him for the man he was, and the things he did. He was a doer.” Mr. Lembeck, a dogged advocate for the disabled and passionate music fan, died Tuesday in the former Main Street firehouse he pushed to have rebuilt to accommodate disabled tenants. He was 55.


Mr. Lembeck, determined to lead an active life despite not having the use of his limbs, “had a way of connecting with people almost immediately,” Billoni said. That trait helped him attract “the most eclectic mix of friends I ever met,” said another friend, former City Commissioner of Planning and Community Development Joe Ryan. A New York City native, Mr. Lembeck came to Buffalo to attend Buffalo State College, where he earned two degrees. While there, he combined his love for music and his advocacy to organize still-remembered dance marathons and raise money to fight muscular dystrophy.


A spinal tumor 20 years ago led to loss of mobility. Billoni said Mr. Lembeck aggressively took on the challenges of his changed circumstances. “I don’t think he was ever at odds with the idea of being positive about life,” he said. “To him, the perception that he was a scrappy go-getter before his [life in a wheelchair] may have remained with him the rest of his life.” Mr. Lembeck frequently enlisted Ryan, who began using a wheelchair following a bicycling accident in 1995, to help remedy accessibility inequities. “That’s his legacy,” Ryan said. “If he saw something that could be done better for disabled people, he would try to get it done.”


Mr. Lembeck, promotions coordinator for People Inc., worked in big and small ways to do that. He served as an accessibility consultant on HSBC Arena, Unitarian Universalist Church of Buffalo and Babeville, home to Hallwalls Contemporary Art Center, on whose board of directors he served for 10 years.

But countless people with disabilities found Mr. Lembeck a valuable source for information and resources. “We’ve lost a member of our family,” said People Inc. CEO and President James Boles. “We’ll miss him.”


Music was a large part of Mr. Lembeck’s life. Growing up in New York City in the late ’60s and early ’70s, it was Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. In later years, he developed an affinity for the alternative country sounds of artists like Lucinda Williams and Gillian Welch. But his support for local music and local musicians was evident by his presence in the city’s music venues. A memorial service is being planned.

— John F. Bonfatti, The Buffalo News


Here are some links to more information about Jamie:


Remembering Jamie Lembeck - Buffalo Roots


Artvoice Daily  - with reader comments at the end


Hallwalls & Elsewhere


People Inc. Award


Jamie's reflections on the 2003 reunion


Paula Fay Levine - Class of 1952


PAULA FAY LEVINE passed away Saturday, April 12 at National Park Medical Center in Hot Springs, AR. Ms. Levine was a prominent member of the Memphis Jewish community for many years and lived with her sister and brother-in-law, the late Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Yaffe of Memphis and their three children. She moved to Hot Springs, AR in the 1960s to start a career in education which she continued for 35 years until she was unable to continue teaching due to illness. Ms. Levine was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ben Levine of Hot Springs, AR. Ms. Levine leaves two nephews and one niece, Dr. Sherwin Yaffe of Memphis, Dr. Barry Yaffe of Atlanta and Ms. Anet Silver of Jerusalem, Israel. She also leaves three great-nephews and six great-nieces. Funeral services were held at Anshei Sphard Cemetery, Sunday, April 13. To all who knew and loved Aunt Paula, she will be greatly missed. Canale Funeral Directors 901-452-6400


Published in The Commercial Appeal on 4/15/2008.


The attached notice appeared in the Portland "Oregonian" newspaper yesterday. I'm sure others join me in remembering Peter's maturity beyond his years, as if this were not his first time around the wheel, and were distressed to hear of his illness. We now mourn his passing.

Leonard Perrone, CLS 69


Peter S. McCabe - Class of 1969



Peter S. McCabe of Portland passed away on Sunday, April 27, 2008. He was 58 years old.


Peter was born on March 17, 1952 in La Jolla, Calif. He was a true Irish lad born on the sacred holiday. He was the son of Margaret Scripps and Charles McCabe. Peter grew up in Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. He graduated from Cherry Lawn Prep School and attended Friends of World College in Berkeley, Calif. In 1974 he married Debbie McCabe and they lived in the Portland area for the last 35 years.


Although Peter was born into a family that owned and managed media properties throughout the United States, he was committed to the labor side of business. During the early '80s Peter was the business representative for the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 757 representing the transit workers in the TriMet, Lane County and Southern Oregon transit districts until illness forced his retirement.


Although Peter faced many physical difficulties throughout his adulthood, his quick wit and humor guided him. He never met anyone he didn't want to visit with and made many friends through his various activities.


Peter's life was enhanced by the wonderful caregivers who helped him with his daily life. He made them all his family and kept them entertained with his wonderful stories. They also helped him care for his beloved pets Moe and Maynard.


Peter will be greatly missed by his family: his wife, Debbie; daughters, Molly McCabe of Portland; and Megan Tagliaferri, son-in-law, Jeff Tagliaferri, granddaughter, Paige Tagliaferri, all of Long Beach, Calif.; his chief caregiver, Don Proebstel of Portland; sisters, Mary Peirce and Liz Logan of Sarasota, Fla.; and brother, Charles McCabe of San Francisco. He was predeceased by his sister, Nini McCabe, and brother, Bob Buzzelli.


A wake will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday, May 3 at 10385 S.E. Quail Ridge Drive, Portland.

Remembrances in Peter's name can be made to Molly's Fund Fighting Lupus or the Oregon Humane Society.


Published in The Oregonian on 5/1/2008.

Lewis Gross, Class of 1972


After many years of searching, I recently discovered that Lew Gross died approximately late in 2006. I have been unable to get any further details. Lew was a great guy, and a very close friend of mine in our youth. We grew up together in Norwalk, Connecticut and were actually born only 6 hours apart, on December 2, 1953, in Norwalk Hospital. We were known as "The Birthday Buddies". Lew was a very talented musician, and was in great demand for his bass playing. He and I played together many, many times, and even played together in "Rock A Day Jonny", a well known California band, in the mid 1970's. Our lives eventually took us many miles from each other, and I last spoke to Lew by phone in 1995. He had been living on his boat for many years, and had recently moved ashore due to the birth of a daughter.


submitted 4/30/2008 by Mike Manners, CLS 72


Claude Pines, Class of 1961


GLENS FALLS -- Claude Pines died Monday morning, Dec. 11, 2006, at Glens Falls Hospital, after a seven-month battle with leukemia. Born June 7, 1943, in Brooklyn, he was the second son of the late Dr. Bernard Pines and Charlotte Rachlin Pines, Esq.

Claude graduated with a B.A. from Columbia, and attended medical school at the Universite Libre in Brussels, Belgium, and Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. For many years he worked in bacteriology at Montefiore Hospital, Doctor's Hospital and University Hospital in New York City.

Following an extended period of mental illness in 1986, he moved to the Glens Falls area, where he became an advocate in the area of Mental Health. He spoke to consumers and professionals alike from the unique point of view of one whose experience was broad enough to address important issues both personally and clinically. Claude was an active participant in programs sponsored by the Warren Washington County Association for Mental Health and North Country NAMI.

He was loved for his wry humor, gentle spirit, and a wisdom born of struggle and perseverance. He enjoyed Shakespeare and James Lee Burke, pizza with his niece, Charlotte, and the prospect of fishing for yellowtail off Bimini with his brother's friend, Fred. Claude had been a counselor at the East Side Center, a respite worker with Voices of the Heart, which he named, and most recently, a relief worker with ARC.

He passed on peacefully in his sleep after finishing what was left in a box of Belgian chocolates brought to him by his sister-in-law, Carol. Claude is survived by his brother, Paul Pines and his wife, Carol, and their daughter, Charlotte; his mother-in-law, Catherine Gericke; and a host of other loving relatives: Kenneth Gericke and his children, Corey and Casey, all from Glens Falls; David and Laurie Gericke and their children, Jessica, Stephanie and Rebecca, from Glenmont; and Paul Brantley of Manhattan.

He was tended lovingly throughout his illness by his cousin, Joanne Rachlin, and his close friends, Dr David and Mary Young, and Dr. Bob Zagorn. The family would like to express their appreciation to Dr. Mark Hoffman and the staff of Adirondack Cancer Care, as well as the compassionate nurses on the oncology floor of Glens Falls Hospital.

Burial will be private. A small gathering in his honor will be held later this month.

Word has reached us that Tanya O. Zuber, Mr. Zuber's 

wife of 63 years died on December 29, 2006 at age 89.

Condolences may be sent to:

Ludwig C. Zuber
2759 Oakdale Street South
St Petersburg Fl 33705

I will try to get further details and post them.

Marilyn Halevi - Class of 1961


Marilyn Halevi, was born April 10th, 1944 to Henry and Zelma Halevi, and older brother Marc in New York City , New York . The family moved to Croton on Hudson in the house designed by her father, an architect. When Marilyn was three, their beloved mother Zelma died, a life long sorrow for Marilyn. Marc and Marilyn were schooled at Cherry Lawn Boarding School in Connecticut for five years.


Marilyn initially attended the University of Michigan , later she transferred to Sarah Lawrence College , where she received a degree in fine art. Next, she studied with Lili Peller, a founder of the field of art therapy. She received a Master of Arts degree from California State University , Sacramento , after moving to California . Marilyn has been an art therapist at a number of agencies as well as having a private practice in Sacramento . She continued to paint and exhibit her works locally and nationally.


Her daughter Genevieve Lili was born to Marilyn and John Hansen in 1983. For about 18 years George Connor, Marilyn and Gen have made their home together in Arden Park . On January 18, 2006, Marilyn died after a valiant two year struggle with lung cancer. Along with Gen and George, Marilyn is beloved by numerous friends in the community who will always miss her, as well as her brother, Marc Halevi who lives in Boston . The memory of her life and presence of her art will always be cherished.




Two poems and a painting by Marilyn Halevi





We sit at the edge of tomorow,

Holding the last light of today,

As the rippled surface stretches to the incoming tide.

The moon is golden in our eyes,

Showing the pathway to the low tide at sunrise.




Together we make a five pointed flower,

Each of your arms is a petal,

Your hands circle my stem.


Together we make a five pointed star.

Each of your arms is a beam of light,

Your hands touch my glowing center.


Together we make a constellation of love,

Each of your hearts is open,

Embracing my soul in prayer.



posted 10/23/2006

Carleigh M. Hoff - Class of 1967

Carleigh M. Hoff, age 55, lifelong artist/teacher/musician/writer/ dancer and remarkable friend to many, died Saturday evening, November 5, 2005 at home from complications of multiple myeloma cancer. She was surrounded by family and friends singing her on her journey with her own songs. She graduated from Scripps College and went on to attain a Masters in Design from UCLA. Her works in a wide spectrum of media first ranged from 3D environments, headdresses, and masks and shifted to costumes for dance, film, and theatre. She was later a librarian, and wrote and created children's literature and illustration. Her work most recently was in the realm of figurative sculpture. Residences throughout her life have included PA, NJ, TN, West Hollywood and Santa Barbara CA, Providence RI, East Hartford and Hamden CT. Her vast creative energies eventually wove together into doll art, for which she has won awards and had articles written. Many children and adults have been inspired over the years by her art classes and camps, and doll-making workshops. Much of Carleigh's figurative sculpture can be viewed at her website at At 4:00 p.m. Sunday, November 13, 2005 there will be a celebration of Carleigh's life at the First Unitarian Church, 3701 Carlisle NE at Comanche. Following the service of remembrances and music will be a reception with food, music, and folk dancing. In lieu of flowers the family suggests donations be made to the humanitarian activities of someone close to Carleigh's heart, the spiritual leader and "hugging saint" known as Amma (see for more information). Checks may be sent to M.A. Center - PO Box 613 - San Ramon, CA. 94583. The family extends special gratitude for the extraordinary generosity and special projects provided by the people at Carleigh's last workplace, Sierra Peaks Corporation, and to the care from Vista Care hospice staff.

Check out Carleigh's website:


Herbert S. Adler - Class of 1960


Undaunted by the vicissitudes of life, Herbert Adler flourished. He selflessly gave of himself to scores of friends, family members, coworkers and even random people he happened to meet in delis, dry cleaners, and fancy balls. His untimely passing at age 63, in December 2005, leaves a void that can only be filled by knowing how many people carry his love in their hearts forever. He was a prominent businessman, tireless philanthropist, and patron of the arts. The Adler family will try very hard to continue to live by his example. He is survived by his wife Susan, and daughters, Sloane E. Simon-Adler, and Margaret (Maggie) C. Adler.


 Contributions may be sent to The Adler Family Fund for the History of Art at Williams College, c/o Diana Elvin, 75 Park Street, Williamstown, MA. 01267.



Additional  information about Herb Adler:


Herbert was a principal at Halcyon Management Company since 1995. He began his professional career as an associate at Lehman Brothers, then served as assistant to the president of Koffman Family Interest, where he was responsible for distressed investments and workouts. From 1968 to 1976 he was a first vice president and treasurer of E.M. Warburg, Pincus & Co., where he specialized in private-equity transactions. He served as vice president and member of the executive committee of Hugo Neu & Sons, Inc., a family holding company, 1976-79. 


From 1979 to 1991 he was principal and co-director of the national merger and acquisition department at KPMG Peat Marwick, where he also chaired its international merger & acquisition steering committee and leveraged-buyout committee. Before joining Halcyon he was a general partner of McFarland Dewey & Co., 1991-95, where he specialized in acquisitions and restructuring. He co-wrote "Guide to Acquisitions in the U.S"., and wrote numerous articles on acquisitions; he lectured in many countries and chaired or participated in merger and acquisition seminars in various U.S. cities. 


An active supporter of Penn State University, he received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1992. He served Penn on the boards of overseers of Penn Design, the University Library, and on the board of Penn Alumni. He was past chair of The Penn Fund and Benjamin Franklin Society, and a member of the steering committee for The Campaign for Penn. As chair of the 25th Reunion gift committee, he raised the largest amount of money ever for a 25th Reunion gift to any university. A member of numerous cultural, scientific, and medical non-profit boards in both the U.S. and the U.K., he served as past president of the visiting committee at Williams College Museum of Arts and as director of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (New York chapter); he was a trustee for the American Association of the Royal Academy Trust, the Marlborough College Foundation, and the American Friends of Winchester Cathedral. His collection of 18th-, 19th-, and 20th-century American works on paper has been exhibited in several American museums. 


Albert Levitt Morse - Class of 1956

Albert Morse, an intellectual property lawyer for underground cartoonists, was many things: self-publisher of a pioneer book about tattoo art, collector of 17th and 18th century chastity belts and Oceanic sculpture, son of Man Ray's model of erotic photographs, a self-described voyeur, Bohemian and bon vivant.

He died last Sunday, January 22, 2006,  after a long battle with kidney disease. He was 67, and lived for nearly four decades in Sausalito aboard a Larkspur ark houseboat called the Pickleweed.

Bald with a long flowing beard, ponytail and deep, dark eyes, Mr. Morse topped off his striking look with a flowing cape, hat and vintage Dunhill pipe. He could be simultaneously flamboyant and reclusive, hilarious and impatient, said his longtime companion, Christine Valenza. "Albert was someone really interesting to be around," she said.

"He was extroverted and introverted," said Michael Krasner, an attorney who worked for Mr. Morse. "He could be sophisticated and crass. He was a character."

For a man so clearly eccentric, he had the most proper of childhoods. He was born in Manhattan and raised in Great Neck, Long Island. His parents were filthy rich, courtesy of his grandfather, Adolph Levitt, who reportedly made $25 million a year during the 1920s and 1930s, selling his patented automatic doughnut machines to bakeries, including Krispy Kreme.

The family's car was chauffeur-driven, and its vast collection of Japanese erotic art was displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Young Albert attended prep schools throughout New England, including the progressive Cherry Lawn School in Darien, Conn. Upon graduation from high school in 1956, Mr. Morse attended Boston University for both his bachelor's and law degrees. He earned his law degree in 1963 and practiced law in the Boston for about five years while living on Beacon Hill.

Susan Beskind, a younger cousin, said that his apartment was dark but simply and elegantly furnished with antiques, as befitted someone of money. He taught her how to eat lobster during one visit and then, to her surprise, jumped on an old motorcycle and took her on a wild ride through Harvard Square. Even in his youth, Mr. Morse was an enigma.

In 1968, he moved to San Francisco. He studied for the California Bar at the nudist section of Muir Beach, Valenza said, and joined the law firm of Rohann and Stepanian, at 819 Eddy St., where Michael Stepanian, a law school buddy, was already making a name defending such clients as the Grateful Dead in drug cases. The firm's clientele included such underground comics as R. Crumb and Art Spiegelman, and Mr. Morse developed an expertise in copyright and trademark law.

After a few years, Mr. Morse moved to another office in the building and started his own law practice, with Crumb as his major client. He hired attorney Krasner to help him. Crumb's "Keep on Truckin' " big-footed character had become an icon of early 1970s counterculture, and the firm was busy suing manufacturers, distributors and retailers who used the comic's image without permission or royalties.

With the fees Crumb paid him, Mr. Morse was able to work mostly pro bono for other, less successful comic illustrators, Krasner said, often accepting artwork in lieu of payment. Many were so grateful they made him a character in their strips. Mr. Morse compiled these strips and created a book called "Morse's Funnies."

While working with cartoonists, he noticed a similarity in their art with that of tattoo artists. Mr. Morse had been collecting postcards, posters and photographs of carnival folks and circus freaks for years, so he decided to photograph and write a book about them. He found tattoos both fascinating and appalling, Valenza said.

At the time, tattoos were still mostly found only on bikers, sailors and the like. Publishing houses told him there was no mainstream interest in tattoos, so in 1977 Mr. Morse published "The Tattooists" himself. The photographs were also displayed in the Oakland Museum and at the Pompidou Center in Paris.

Married briefly in his 40s, he met Valenza after answering a personal ad in the Pacific Sun, a free paper in Marin County. They were companions for 10 years, though for the last five he suffered from renal failure and was on dialysis. For a man who insisted on being in control, this sense of helplessness infuriated and saddened him, she said, making him withdraw more and more from his beloved jaunts through Marin and San Francisco. Around the holidays, he terminated his treatment.

A celebration of his life, including a show of his various collections, will be held within the next two months.


Nora Margaret Ellis - Class of 1970



Nora died at her home in Oakland, CA on December 3, 2005, after a 23 year battle against breast cancer. She was 54 years old. Nora was one of the longest term survivors of metastatic breast cancer being treated at the Alta Bates Summit Comprehensive Cancer Center in Berkeley. 


Nora was born in Washington, D.C. and was a graduate of Grinnell College in Iowa. She returned to Washington, D.C. after college and worked for the American Psychological Association before moving to San Francisco. She was hired by the State Bar of California where she soon became the director of the California Young Lawyers Association and the Conference of Delegates. 


Nora will be remembered by many as a person whose wit and wisdom helped teach them to listen to their inner self as they too fought their cancers. She would find time to talk with patients who had questions or fears about treatments that she herself had gone through. Her spirit, knowledge and caring helped so many others understand their treatment options and what they might expect as a positive or perhaps a not so positive result. She helped many people understand and believe that they had to be active participants in choosing and in some cases directing their treatments. Nora made so many of us complete. She loved her family and friends, her pets, her garden and all things in nature. Her life was an inspiration to her family, friends and those lucky enough to know her. 


Someone asked me if Nora knew what a positive effect she had on so many people. To Nora it was just the way a person lived life. You gave what you could. . . In Nora's case her gifts to us were enormous. 


Nora is survived by her husband, Dick Nishimoto and their son, Christopher Nishimoto both of Oakland, CA; her brother, Joseph J. Ellis of Amherst, MA; her sister, Judith Ellis of Arlington, VA and numerous aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. A celebration of Nora's life will be held on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 10:30 a.m. at the First Unitarian Church of Oakland, 685 14th Street at Castro in Oakland, CA. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to your favorite charity in Nora's memory.


Dr Jonathan Amsel - Class of 1958


September 7, 1940 - November 8, 2005


Dr. Jonathan Amsel died at Princeton Hospital on November 8, 2005 of pneumonia following a long struggle with chronic lymphocytic leukemia.


Born in New York City, he earned a Bachelor degree in Political Science and Economics, from Grinnell College. He earned his Master of Science degree in Administrative Medicine, from Columbia University in 1969 and his Doctor of Science degree in Epidemiology and Human Genetics, from The John Hopkins University in 1975.


Jon's career took him on many paths. In 1975 he joined the University Of Illinois, School Of Public Health, in Chicago, IL as Assistant Professor of Epidemiology and Human Genetics. In 1979 he moved on to the University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine where in 1983 he was named Chair/Graduate Program in Epidemiology.


While Jon enjoyed his university teaching experience, his career interests moved him into the corporate word. In 1984, he joined the American Petroleum Institute as Staff Epidemiologist. His responsibilities at API involved many areas of occupational epidemiology where he developed a specialty and extensive experience in research within the chemical and synthetic fiber industries.


In 1987 Jon began work at Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corp as Corporate Epidemiologist, Environmental Health & Safety where he successfully implemented a corporate-wide Epidemiology Surveillance Program. In 1991 Hoechst Celanese Corporation, in Warren, NJ recruited Jon as Director-Epidemiology, Health Sciences at which time he moved to Princeton. At Hoechst he successfully completed major epidemiology studies to measure employee health and ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. In 1999 Jon founded his own consulting company Epidemiology Associates of Princeton which he continued until his death. During his career he published over 30 papers in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.


Jon's interests were wide and varied and encompassed all aspects of the world of art: some of his special passions were American furniture, antique maps and modern art, oriental rugs and symphonic music. He had an avid interest in wine as witnessed by his extensive wine cellar. He loved travel, going to museums, talking to all kinds of people, a good story, all cats (especially Abyssinians) and all women. Simply put, Jon vastly enjoyed his life. Above all, and in every aspect of his life, Jon was a scrupulously passionate person of rare intellectual integrity. Despite his scholarly exterior he was a warm and loyal friend whose sterling qualities will not be forgotten.


He is survived by his loving wife, Diane, his daughter Ruth Emerson and grand daughter Harper Grace Emerson of Venice California and his brother Christopher of Old Westbury Long Island NY.

Joel Dirlam, Class of 1932

(Joel Dirlam and Sonya Turitz Shopic play recorders together at the 2003 CLS reunion, after a 70 year hiatus!)

Joel Baxter Dirlam, formerly of Mansfield, Ohio, died at the age of 90 on December 1, 2005 near his present 

home in Kingston, Rhode Island. 


The son of H. Kenneth Dirlam and Reba Baxter Dirlam, Professor Dirlam was born in Mansfield, Ohio on Aug 26, 1915. Professor Dirlam was educated at Yale from which he received a Doctorate in Economics in 1938, after a stint in Washington, DC at the Securities and Exchange Commission. Professor Dirlam spent two years in the Army in France and German during World War II. He was a professor of economics successively at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania, Cornell University, Connecticut College for Women, the University of Connecticut, Michigan State, and the University of Rhode Island. 


He was also a frequent guest lecturer at the University of Aix en Provence in France and an authority on the economics the former Yugoslavia, a country which he loved. Further, he was a consultant for the Brookings Institute, published several books on economics and spent one year in Jordan as an economic advisor to the king of that country on the development of its economy. 


After official retirement, Professor Dirlam maintained a lively interest in his field, continuing as a consultant on several fronts, including the New England fishing industry. Professor Dirlam had a lifelong interest in the outdoors; until his death he was an avid gardener, kept bees, and was a staunch supporter of many environmental causes. Into his eighties he enjoyed hiking locally and in Great Britain. Professor Dirlam loved music, and played the recorder in informal ensembles with friends throughout the years. 


In 1941 Mr. Dirlam married Barbara Rowland of Newport, Rhode Island, who died in 2001 after nearly 60 years of marriage. He is survived by three daughters; Hilary Dirlam, Pramada Kislela, and Daphne Dirlam; by four grandchildren, and by two great-grandchildren. He also leaves cousins in Mansfield, Ohio and in England. 


There will be a memorial gathering for Joel Dirlam at the University Club in the URI campus at 9:00 AM Saturday, December 10, at 9:00 AM. In lieu of flowers, the family suggestions that donations be made to UNICEF or to Washington County Hospice. 


Dear friends, 


Joel was recovering well from his heart surgery, but suffered a stroke and died very quickly on Thursday night. During his last days he was very much his old self and looking forward to getting home and getting back to work. He was still very interested in current affairs and liked to have the paper read to him. He enjoyed many visits from friends and family, including one from one of his oldest friends, Fred Kahn, and his two great grandchildren Thor and Fiona. We¹d like to thank all of you for your friendship and sympathy. 


The Dirlam Family


Cindy Meyerson Crane,  Class of 1974



Cindy Meyerson Crane - 48, of Warsaw, Indiana, formerly of Stamford, passed away on Nov. 5, 2005.

Mrs. Crane was born in the Bronx, NY Mar. 12, 1957 to Roslyn Meyerson Taub of Delray Beach, FL and to the late Merton Meyerson.

A loving wife and mother, she is survived by her husband Edward Crane, and four children, Heather 28, Thomas 25, Taylor 16, Hannah 13. She is also survived by her brother Lewis Meyerson (CLS 72) of Shelton, CT and many, many friends and extended families.

Cindy attended Franklin School, Dolan Jr. High School, Rippowam High School and The Cherry Lawn School in Darien.

Memorial services and burial will be held in Delray Beach, FL on Wednesday Nov. 9 or Thursday Nov. 10, 2005.

She was taken way too soon.

Memorial Contributions can be made to:

Cindy Crane Dance Scholarship Memorial
c/o Colliers School of Dance
Husky Trail
Warsaw, IN  46580


Alphonse Anthony Medved

Alphonse Anthony (Al) Medved, director of Cherry Lawn School from 1956 to 1972, died September 10 of natural causes at the Vernon Green Nursing Home in Vernon, Vermont. He was 95. He was a resident of Putney, Vermont since 1980.

Mr. Medved was born in 1910 in Schonstein, Slovenia (then part of Austria). His family immigrated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1912. He was a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he played fullback on the Wisconsin Badgers football team. He was also a graduate of Colgate Rochester Divinity School.

He held administrative positions in national and international organizations, including director of resident training for the National Youth Administration for New York State; assistant director of the National Baptist Convention Board of Education; and associate director of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration Middle East Refugee Program, responsible for the welfare of 30,000 Greek and Balkan refugees temporarily resettled to northern Egypt during World War II.

He was a co-founder, vice-president and general manager of Tour-Inns, Inc., one of the nation's first successful motel chains.

He was the author of three historical novels: The Burning Spring; The Black Panther; J of K, Judah of Kerioth; an epic poem Elul, and hundreds of poems published in literary journals.

Survivors include his wife of 73 years, Isabel Margaret MacFarlane; his sons, Stephen Medved of Putney, and Christopher Medved of Gainesville, Florida; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

posted September 12, 2005

Theodore Baumgold

Long time Cherry Lawn Trustee, and father of four CLS alumni, Theodore 'Ted' Baumgold, age 91, died at his home in Stamford, CT. He served in the Jedberg Group of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) during W.W. II. He was a businessman, and was also driven to play, lecture, collect, read, discuss and conduct classical music. Ted lectured on music and conducted orchestras at the 92nd Street Y, the Waverly Center in New Canaan, CT, and the Founders Hall in Ridgefield, CT. He is survived by his wife Tamar, children Shula, Jesse, Dina Farhi, and Martin, seven grandchildren, his sister Grace Dello Joio , niece Vicki Dello Joio, and other nieces, nephews and cousins.

A celebration of his life will be held in September at the 92nd Street Y, in New York City. Memorial contributions may be made to the 92nd Street Y, Senior Adults, 1395 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York, 10128. Burial was private.

A few words about Ted, by Hank Gans, CLS '67

If anyone has a special memory, or anecdote about Ted that they would like to share with us, please email them to

posted June 29, 2005


Dr. Vivienne Eisner Margolis

Dearest CLS Family, Dr. Vivienne Eisner Margolis passed away last evening Wednesday, February 16th with Family and Friends around Her, quietly and comfortably at home which was her wish, there will be no service as Dr. V donated Her body to science...She was a political activist, Pychology therapist in private practice, ceramic sculptor, jewelry maker, author, mother and grandmother, and sooo much more!!! i miss Her with every breath of my being, i feel very fortunate to have had a special bond with this beautiful talented great individual!!! We can all be certain that somebody "up There" likes us.


Sincerely and with love, june alice kaplan, class of '69. <>
 Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 19:07:51 (EST)

Richard J. Youdin, CLS 1932

Richard J. Youdin, CLS 1932, died at his home in Southbury CT on April 13, 2002 following a valiant struggle against pulmonary fibrosis. He was Harvard College class of 1936, and also studied at the Sorbonne and the American University . He served in the State Department during WWII in North Africa and Washington , DC , lived in Geneva , Switzerland from 1948 – 1952 with his wife and two young sons and served with various UN agencies until 1954 or so. He spent the final years of his working life as the Director of Product Planning for the Longines-Wittnauer Watch Company. Following his retirement in 1976, he became active in civic affairs at Heritage Village and the Town of Southbury .  He is survived by his wife Margaret Youdin, three children Michael Youdin, Peter Youdin and Elizabeth Youdin Gill and by three grandchildren Andrew Youdin, Christopher Gill and Suzanne Gill.

He frequently regaled us with stories of Cherry Lawn, always making it sound like a fabulous place.


Elizabeth Youdin Gill


Margaret (Peggy) Voss, class of 1932


Word has reached us that Peggy Voss, Cherry Lawn Class of 1932 died July 5, 2004 after suffering a stroke. 


Paul Gaer, class of 1947



Hello, Clearing my desk, I see that I have a postcard about the annual Cherry Lawn get-together, addressed to my husband Paul Gaer. Paul passed away un-expectedly November 16, 2003 whilst on vacation in London. He suffered two heart attacks within two days. He spoke so lovingly of Cherry Lawn, especially Basil Burwell, whom he clearly adored. Cherry Lawn laid the foundation for my husband's life, and he created large families wherever he went. He had a wonderful life, became a screenwriter, and an exceptional painter, and most of all, a dear and loving friend to so many who were devastated by his passing. Paul's sister Gay Gaer-Luce also attended Cherry Lawn, I imagine 1944 - 1945 or thereabouts. I would love to be a fly on the wall at your re-union. Have a grand time. 


Best wishes, Jacqueline Gaer


Bradshaw Heaney, class of 1972



Word has reached us that Brad Heaney died in a fire at his shop

in San Luis Obispo, California, on April 26th, 2004.  Brad will 

be missed greatly by all who knew and loved him.


Brad was brought up in Wilton, Conn. and followed his family to California in the mid-1970s. He lived in San Luis Obispo for approximately 27 years. He was a licensed general contractor and designer, specializing in exclusive remodels of custom homes.

Brad was tragically killed by a fire in the shop he rented. The shop, now reduced to a few metal walls and charred timbers was where he began his hobby, restoring classic European racing cars. He was called the "restoration guru" by the men he helped to perfect their classic cars. Many creative people in the community flocked around him to collaborate on projects and combine their talents. The shop was where his heart was.

Bradshaw was generous, wildly funny and inspirational, and an undaunted perfectionist in all his work. The shop was where he built beautiful furniture, designed lighting systems and created art from woods, copper, wrought iron, glass and many other materials. The shop was where he exercised his soul. Some of us are lucky to have a piece of his work to keep close to us as we grieve his loss. Bradshaw will be missed by those whose hearts he touched. His death was too brutal for such a dear, gentle man.

Bradshaw is survived by his mother Joanne of Los Osos; sister Robin of Los Osos; cousin Scott Prentis and family of San Luis Obispo; and other relatives as far away as Scotland.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in Bradshaw's behalf to Transitions-Mental Health Association at P.O. Box 15408, San Luis Obispo, CA 93406.

Cards may be sent to Brad's mother: 

Joan Heaney 

1570 11th St. 

Los Osos, California 93402

Tanya (Bogoslovsky) Wood And Leonard Wood

CHARLESTON, Illinois -- Tanya Wood and Leonard Wood of Charleston, passed away Saturday, March 13, 2004 as a result of an automobile accident east of Charleston. Tanya was born August 9, 1926 in New York, New York, daughter of Boris and Christina Stael von Holstein Bogoslovsky. Leonard was born January 1, 1923, in Utica, Pennsylvania, son of John B. and Ethel Boughner Wood. They were married July 19, 1952. Surviving are two sons, Anthony C. Wood of New York, New York and John M. Wood of Peoria, Illinois; and one daughter, Sarah Ishu of Landgrove, Vermont. Six grandchildren, and Leonard's sister, Mary Margaret Harper of California, also survive. They were preceded in death by one son, Stephen Jeffrey Wood and Leonard's brother, John B. Wood, Jr. Together they owned the Lincoln Book Store and the Alley Cat Theatre. Tanya, a 1943 graduate of  The Cherry Lawn School in Darien, Connecticut, received her schooling at Smith College in Massachusetts and the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City. Leonard received his degrees at State Teachers College at Slippery Rock, PA, and the University of Pennsylvania. Tanya was active with the Coles County League of Women Voters, the Coles County Historical Society, and the Democratic Party. Leonard retired as a Professor from Eastern Illinois University. In addition to being active with the Coles County Historical Society and the Democratic Party, he was a textbook author and a Fulbright Scholar. He also served his country in the U.S. Navy during World War II. There will be a celebration of Tanya's and Leonard's lives, Saturday, March 20, 2004, time and place to be announced. The Harper-Swickard Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangements. Memorials in their honor may be made to or Drayton Hall, 3380 Ashley River Road, Charleston, S.C. 29414 


Robert L. Cosby Sr.


"Cosby taught and served as the assistant director for the 

Upward Bound Program 

at the former Cherry Lawn School in Darien."


February 26, 2004

Robert L. Cosby Sr., 78, the first African-American teacher at Brunswick School, and a mentor, coach, and decorated career soldier, died Tuesday, Feb. 24, while playing basketball in the Lower School gymnasium with several of his closest faculty friends. The South Norwalk resident died from a heart attack, according to his family.


"Brunswick School will be a different place without Robert Cosby," school officials said in a statement released yesterday. "We grieve the passing of a man who could be considered in many ways the 'soul' of Brunswick."


Born May 24, 1925, in Aliquippa, Pa., he was a son of the late Eugene and Essie Mae Cosby. A graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago and Boston College, he also studied at the University of Heidelberg in Germany. Cosby served with one of the first integrated Military Honor Guards, under Gen. Thomas D. Handy. He served at the end of World War II as Honor Guard for the Nuremberg Trials. He was also the first African-American first sergeant to serve in the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne Division. During his military career he was an educator in ROTC at Virginia State University and an instructor at the Military Academy at West Point. He was a decorated veteran, having served in three wars. In all, he was active in four military theaters: in Europe during World War II, in Korea, Panama and in Vietnam. He served two tours of duty in Vietnam, where he saw combat as a Green Beret and Special Forces.


Cosby returned to the United States in 1968 and served as a part-time trainer for the Chicago Blackhawks professional hockey team. He also worked as a scout for the New York Jets affiliated semi-pro team. After a brief stint in insurance and mutual-fund industry, he returned to his first passion -- teaching.


Cosby taught and served as the assistant director for the Upward Bound Program at the former Cherry Lawn School in Darien.


A teacher of history, Cosby arrived at Brunswick in 1970. Later he taught mathematics. He was a mentor and coach of football, track, basketball, wrestling, and baseball. "He is remembered by several generations of students from first through twelfth grades at Brunswick School," his family said. "During his long careers in both the military and academia, he dedicated himself to molding human character and spirit, and striving for excellence, all while dismantling barriers, be they of poverty, privilege, racism or social," his family said.

In 1976, members of Brunswick's senior class dedicated their yearbook to Cosby, citing his "deep consideration for others and his great openness to all." Another well-deserved honor came in 1993 when he became the first recipient of the John F. Otto Award, an annual honor dedicated to those faculty members with the courage to pursue their individual vision with honesty and integrity so as to earn the appreciation of their critics and the loyalty of their peers, school officials said.


In the mid-1980's, Cosby took on a new role, as the Lower School physical education teacher. In 2001, the Cosby Weight Room at the Sampson Fieldhouse was named after him to pay tribute to his more than 30 years as a teacher, coach, trainer and mentor.

"For over three decades he has brought kindness to the entire Brunswick community, asking for nothing in return. We have truly been blessed to know him," school officials said.


He is survived by two daughters, Renata Cosby of Bern, Switzerland, and Diana Willier of Munich, Germany; two sons, Robert L. Cosby Jr. of Germantown, Md., and Walter Cosby of Richmond, Va.; two sisters, Edna Rembert of Aliquippa, and Lorraine Wilson of Jacksonville, Fla.; a brother, Eugene Cosby of Aliquippa; and two grandchildren; .


A celebration of his life will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow at Brunswick Upper School, Burke Gymnasium, 100 Mayer Ave., Greenwich.

Brunswick School asks that visitors park at one of the following places that have made their lots available for the afternoon: The Women's Club, 89 Maple Ave.; the Second Congregational Church, corner of Maple and E. Putnam Ave.; or at Greenwich Academy, 200 Maple Ave.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, March 2, at Ascension Church, 630 Sligo Ave., Silver Spring, Md.


A graveside service and burial with full military honors will be held on Wednesday, March 3, at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va. All are welcome to attend. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Brunswick School to establish the Robert Cosby Scholarship Fund, 101 Mayer Ave., Greenwich, CT 06830.

Anna J. Upton, "Uppie" passes away


Uppie was probably the oldest living Cherry Lawner. She was employed at the school for many years. She was loved and remembered by many. We have just received the following from her daughter, Emily, who attended Cherry Lawn as a student:

It is with sadness that I am informing you of the death of my mother, known as Uppie, to most of you.  Mother passed away peacefully on the 14th of November, 2003 at the age of 97.  Shortly before her death we were talking of the "days at Cherry Lawn" and of the fond memories she had of a time long ago.  Mom was so very pleased that I had made contact with many of you during this past year.  Not only did she remember you , she reminded me that we weren't always well behaved. Imagine!  Mom's wish was to will her body to Albany Medical College and to have a memorial service which we did on December 22, 2003. That day the Glens Falls Post Star had a lovely tribute to her, and to her life working with children.  My sincere thanks to all of you who asked me to pass on messages to her.

Cherry Lawn Mourns Passing of 

Herbert Goldfrank


We have learned that Herbert Goldfrank, nephew of school co-founder Fred Goldfrank, has passed away at age 92. As a graduate of the class of 1925, Herb was our oldest known alumnus. Herb was kind enough to make a significant contribution to this Web page by preparing comments about Cherry Lawn's early history and his remembrances of his uncle Fred. See the "School History" section of the Web page. Herb also attended the 1997 and 1999 reunions. His remarks from the 1999 reunion can be found in the "1999 CLS Reunion" section of the Web page.


Unfortunately, Herbert's wife, Helen, a well-known author of children's books under the pen name, Helen Kay, and a good friend of author Lillian Hellman, also passed away last year at age 88.

Kenneth Silver, Teacher, Has Passed Away


We also are sad to report that former Cherry Lawn English teacher, Kenneth Silver, a friend of the Goldfranks, died January 21st after a sudden, short illness. He was 86, and recently spoke with great fondness of his teaching at Cherry Lawn and living on campus.

Ken graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1938, teaching English for two years at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School in Riverdale (Bronx) in New York City, where he had been a grateful graduate, on a scholarship (grades 4 through 12, thanks in part to his step-mother's brother, Dr. David Beck, head of Fieldston's medical infirmary, and personal physician to Felix Adler, the founder of the Ethical Culture Society.) After serving four years in the Army in World War II, he received his Masters at Columbia University, and later worked in educational filmstrips for Curriculum Films (Long Island City, later Mamaroneck, NY), and for 26 years was English professor at Orange County Community College in Middletown, New York, where he headed the English Department for a time. In the Army, he had met Captain Janet Nash of the first Women's Army Corp (WAC). They were married in 1947 by Ethical Culture's Algernon D. Black. In 1951 they helped build their house (with architect David Henken) in Usonia, a new, progressive community in Pleasantville, New York (Westchester County), founded in 1944 by architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

Death of Sue Figarsky Weintraub Sorrows Classmates

[Sue Figarsky in 1948]

We must sadly report the passing of Sue Figarsky Weintraub, class of 1949. She was born in 1931 and died on her birthday, December 17th of this year, 2002.


She was a wonderful person, fun-loving, natural, adventurous, and warm. She leaves five adult children and three grandchildren. They all adored her. She is terribly missed.

Cherry Lawn Mourns Passing of Trustee 

Clarice Strasser

[Mrs. Strasser at the 1999 Reunion]

Clarice A. Strasser, wife of the late Roger J. Strasser (student, teacher, trustee at Cherry Lawn), mother of Joan Strasser, '59, Karen Holzman and Fred Strasser died on April 23, 2002 in Stamford, Connecticut of cancer at the age of 91. Mrs. Strasser served with her husband on the Board of Trustees of Cherry Lawn for many years. She also directed a summer camp on the school grounds between 1947-59, which was for two years a boarding camp for parents and children, then for ten years a day camp serving over one hundred children of the local community yearly. Mrs. Strasser did this without pay, and all proceeds from the camp went to help support the school.


During the '97 reunion, which she attended, many alumni asked her if there was a written history of the school. There was not. Mrs. Strasser spent the following two years writing one. It was a Herculean endeavor for a woman of 87 who had never published anything before. She called it "Cherry Lawn-My Memoir", completed it's writing and publication, and had it ready to pass out at the '99 reunion. Many alumni have requested and received copies since. During the last weeks of Mrs. Strasser's life, an alumni association representative sent her copies of many recently received emails expressing appreciation for her book. She was delighted listening to the many messages, and having heard them commented, "I'm glad I wrote that book." Thank you to all who expressed appreciation.


My mother was a remarkable woman who will be missed by an extaordinary number of devoted friends and family.

Joan Strasser, Class of 1959

Neil Stuart Auerbach, Class of 1967


It is with great sorrow that we inform you that, Neil Stuart Auerbach, Class of 1967, passed away on April 20, 1996 from Colon Cancer. He left behind two daughters, Ilyse and Marley Auerbach, and his wife, Jane Anne Auerbach.


Neil graduated Rutgers University with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. He then went on to graduate from the Culinary Institute of American in Hyde Park, New York. He is still very much missed.

We wish to acknowledge the recent passing of three significant figures, each from a different area of endeaver: physics, history, and psychology.

Peter Franken, who graduate from CLS in 1944, died on March 11, 1999.

Professor Franken was the first recipient in 1965 of the Cherry Lawn Trustees' Award Medal in honor of a distinguished alumnus.

We refer you to the following obituary note for a summary of his outstanding accomplishments.

David Van Tassel, who graduated from CLS in 1945, died on June 3, 2000. He had a very notable career as an historian.

Professor Van Tassel was the second recipient in 1966 of the Cherry Lawn Trustees' Award Medal in honor of a distinguished alumnus.

We refer you to the following obituary note for a summary of his outstanding accomplishments.

Ernst Bulova, who for many years served as a school psychologist at Cherry Lawn, died on January 11, 2001 at the age of 98.

Dr. Bulova is perhaps best known as the founder of Buck's Rock Work Camp (later changed to Buck's Rock Creative Camp), which followed the teachings of Maria Montessori, the educational theorist who believed work could be both play and a rich learning experience.

We refer you to his "Good Bye" letter to the Buck's Rock community.

Theodore Strongin, Class of 1936


We regret to inform you of the passing of Theodore Strongin at around midnight the 25th of November, 1998 in North Carolina. Born in 1918, he graduated Cherry Lawn in 1936 and later became the Music Critic for the New York Times before he retired. In 1967, Mr. Strongin was given the Cherry Lawn School Trustees Medal at that year's commencement ceremonies.


His son, Daniel, tells us that "Teddy was a truly cultured man, without cultural pretensions. He truly loved any and all forms of genuine human expression."

In keeping with his wishes to avoid a fuss but to offer a tribute to his finer points, we ask that you consider the following tribute:


In this ending season of the year, grab some good friends, play your favorite music, whatever it may be, tell the warmest, most wonderful, funniest story from your personal experience.

The camaraderie and laughter will be his tribute.

Lloyd Bridges


We regret to report the passing of the well known actor and former Cherry Lawn drama teacher Lloyd Bridges on March 10, 1998 at age 85. Mr. Bridges, father of actor sons Beau and Jeff, was a colleague and longtime family friend of Basil Burwell.

Dom Mastrapasqua


We also have learned of the recent passing of Dom Mastrapasqua, who was Dean of Students at Cherry Lawn in 1964. We have no details.

Art Tuller


We have learned that Art Tuller died several years ago of a heart attack. Art was a very popular teacher during his Cherry Lawn days. After the school closed, Art returned to his previous teaching job overseas, and that's where he was stricken.

Basil Burwell


We are sad to report the passing of Basil Burwell on August 27, 1997 from complications following a serious heart attack. He was 85 years old. A brief biographical sketch of Bazz's career is provided. We also suggest that you read Bazz's letter to all Cherry Lawners that was read at the Reunion last summer. He will be missed.